This post will show you how to load your .epub and .mobi book format into Apple iBooks and Amazon Kindle so you can enjoy your books on your smartphone or tablet while you’re on the go. Plus, unlike PDF Books, these file formats allow you to highlight important passages and take notes within a book with the right app. I’m focusing on Amazon Kindle and Apple iBooks because the instructions I found when I was looking for this information weren’t all concentrated in one place…I had to click through several pages to figure it out. For Google Play and Kobo, see the links below:
P.S. You can do this for PDF files that you want to have handy to review when you’re on a plane or a long train ride.
Loading your MOBI file into Amazon Kindle
The easiest way I’ve found to load your MOBI file to your Kindle is to use the “Send to Kindle by e-mail” feature
- On your computer go to Amazon.com
Sign in to your account and select “Accounts & Lists”
- Under “Digital content and devices” select “Content and Devices”
- Scroll down and click on “Personal Document Settings”
- You’ll see several sections once you click:
- Send-to-Kindle E-mail Settings: This is where you’ll see the list of devices that are attached to your Kindle account and the unique e-mail addresses that are associated with them. This is the e-mail address that you’ll send your file to.
- Personal Document Archiving: When this option is enabled, the documents you e-mail to your device will be available accross your Kindle library and will automatically download on all devices.
- Approved Personal Document E-mail List: This is the e-mail address you will send the file from.
- Under “Approved Personal Document E-mail List” make sure you have an e-mail address set up. If you don’t, select “Add new approved e-mail address’” and follow the prompts.
- Note down the unique e-mail address of the device you want to send your book to.
- Open up the e-mail of your Approved E-mail Address and draft an e-mail. In this e-mail you’ll include:
- Email recipient: The unique Send-to-Kindle e-mail address
- Subject line: The name of the book e.g. “Weight Loss for High Achievers”
- Attach the .mobi file you downloaded from Gumroad—“Weight Loss for High Achievers MOBI File”
- Click send.
- Not long after sending, you should get a confirmation e-mail from Amazon Kindle Support letting you know if the file was successfully archived in your Kindle Library
- Give it some time and refresh your Kindle app on the device you sent it to and your book should be there. It’ll also download across all your devices with the Kindle app if you enabled “Personal Document Archiving.”
Loading your EPUB file into Apple iBooks
The easiest way I’ve found to load your epub file into Apple iBooks is using the cloud drive
- Make sure you have the iBooks app installed on your iPhone or iPad
- On your computer go to iCloud.com
- Log in with your Apple ID
- Select iCloud Drive
- Click the “upload icon
- Navigate to where you saved the .epub file you downloaded from Gumroad—“Weight Loss for High Achievers EPUB File”
- Select the file and give it a minute to sync across your iOS devices
- Open the “Files” app on your iPhone or iPad
- Navigate to the location you uploaded the .epub file to
- Refresh the folder by “Swiping down” on your screen if you don’t see it at first
- The file you just put in that folder should appear, if not give it more time to sync
- Then click on the file to download and open in iBooks