I’m here to share my answer to a question about results.
Here’s the question: How long will it take for me to start seeing results on the scale?
Here’s my answer…
If you’d rather read it, here goes…
Rather than exaggerate on what’s possible or avoid your question, in my answer, I’ll help you:
- see why the true answer to this question is “I don’t know”
- set realistic expectations for your journey so you’re not discouraged
- create the bones of a system that’ll help you make things more predictable
Let’s start with why the true answer to the results question is “I don’t know”?
The reason why the true answer to the question of how long it’ll take to get results is I don’t know is that there are too many variables to predict.
Yes there’s what you eat and how you exercise, but there are so many factors that influence your weight loss that aren’t accounted for by those variables.
Here are some things that are unpredictable (to name a few):
- your metabolism
- how your body will distribute the weight you lose (in the instance when you want to focus on a particular part of your body like flattening your tummy)
- how your schedule changes and makes it more difficult or easier to take the actions that’ll help you lose weight
But, there is a general idea of when you can expect to see the type of results you want and that’s what I’ll share with you next.
So what kind of results can you expect and when can you expect them?
While I don’t know exactly how long it will take for you to see results on the scale, I can speak to a realistic expectation that you can have and other types of results you can focus on while you keep taking action.
So first, weight loss on the scale doesn’t happen quickly. At least not the lasting kind. You might start to lose weight as soon as the first week, but your true weight loss trajectory doesn’t begin to take shape until after a month or so especially when you’re not taking drastic actions like cutting out food groups or cutting down your calories drastically.
But there are some results that you can expect to start seeing or feeling almost immediately especially when you’re consistent with your actions.
Here are some non-scale wins that you can start looking out for
For example, when you start:
- working out consistently, you’ll feel that flood of energy that comes with getting the blood flowing through your body. You’ll also get that sense of pride from showing up and crushing a tough workout consistently
- keeping track of your actions consistently, you’ll start to see that you’re not doing as “bad” as you thought you were. A lot of times, we tell ourselves stories when we have no data to back it up. And 9 times out of 10, my clients are pleasantly surprised to find that they already have some healthy practices because they finally have the data since they’re tracking it and they can see it right there in the Team by EJ Accountability Portal
- tracking your results, especially the way I have my clients do it, you’ll get in the habit of looking for the positive. And there’s something powerful that shifts in you when you start looking for positive changes in the mirror, in your health, in how your body feels after a workout. And even if you don’t find something positive to say the first time around, you’ll get in the habit of looking for it over time because you’re not only focused on how much weight you haven’t lost.
All of these positive results that have nothing to do with the number on the scale will help you keep moving forward and stay motivated to keep showing up and taking action long enough to start seeing the number on the scale and the numbers on your tape measure drop.
How can you make this more predictable?
The simplest way to inject some predictability into your weight loss expectations is to track.
But not only your weight or your inches. Track your:
- actions and consistency with these actions so you can see how you’re improving there
- workouts and how you feel after them so you can give yourself multiple reasons to keep showing up to your workouts
- non-scale results so you can find ways to win even before the number on the scale becomes what you want it to be
And tracking metrics like these will keep you motivated so you don’t quit after two weeks and feel like a failure for not being able to get the results you expected.
And you’ll need a system to help you do this…
This is exactly why I created Lighter in 8 Weeks. To help you lose weight, but also to help you win more at weight loss even before you hit the number you’re looking for on the scale.
I’m taking on new clients in Lighter in 8 Weeks starting at the end of September. You’re going to have a weight loss experience unlike any other because it’s not about restriction and deprivation above all else.
It’s about helping you lose weight without compromising your other ambitious goals for your career and your personal life.
And the way we track results is a big part of how you get there.
You can click the button below to join the waiting list so you know exactly when I open up new spots and of course grab one for yourself!
Have follow up questions or a healthy lifestyle question/struggle of your own? Then leave it in the comments and I’ll be sure to get you answers stat!
Till next time, continue being the amazing and capable woman that you are!